Friday, August 17, 2007

DonJuan, Take Juan

Great days. Alex (my little boy and best bud) turned 5. I swear. I'm so thankful (though sometimes I forget) for my kids. I think about how soon they'll be a man and a woman and won't have that soft little voice and how my son won't let me kiss him someday. I can't imagine the assholes that run off and leave those little voices behind. I already miss them, and they're not even gone yet.

On the filmmaking front:

Starting our little shoot of DonJuan DeMantis at the house tonight. Still need to tweak the mantises. They look more like grasshoppers. Need lobster claws to paint. Or crab legs. Anyway, small detail. The humor will buy us out of realism. Hopefully.

Finished continuity breakdown of "Watering Stones" a 12 minute short and should be ready to shoot it in September. October would be cool too, but the energy's in my small crew NOW. Waiting could mean calling on volunteers who I don't know. Either way, my goal is to have editing taking place in October. I'm focusing my attention on sound. I feel that small gains in sound knowledge could result in huge results in the product. But still learning everything. I can take pictures, and God my wife's a killer photographer, so between us, the pictures will work. I'm working on shot flow for these fine pictures, but my brains wrapping around that okay. It's the sound shit, that's buggin' me out. I'm not a master of frequencies and such, and my equipment is a little rustic. Nonetheless, excited to be breaking down the scenes and working out the logistics. Gives you a real sense of your story and the look and what you'll be able to accomplish given your own particular circumstances. Would love to have it done by Halloween (Java's 4 year anniversary). God, where has my life gone? I mean, yay!

On the Restaurant front:
First day back after losing appendix. People in this town still don't appreciate a cafe. Should've opened on Granby. But then I'd have tunnel traffic. All considered. Not so bad in Suffolk. It's a retirement plan, or an early grave.

No comments: