Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Casting




The summer's almost gone. I could say without a doubt, it was our best one yet. Moved into a new house, out of the bad hood, into a good one. Heather's become a working photographer. I'm working on a film project. The kids have just continued being the two coolest kids - learned to fish, swim, ride two wheels, hit a baseball, paint a house, act in a movie. All in one summer. Nothing I can think of beats fishing with my son for the first time. We caught these catfish that swim up near pa-inlaw's dock. It's almost like catching a house pet, but Alex loved it. Tossed it back. I can see that moment having been had between father and son probably since the first time humans hunted fish. He liked casting the best.

Mine for the films is done as well! I think. I've called back the girl. The pastor is great. I mean, he's more experienced than I'd hoped for in what's basically a student film project (without even the filmschool sanction). But I don't have a Bene. I'm leaning towards playing him. I mean, I wrote the story in first person, and it's quite a polished story. I know the character, and if I threw in some blue contacts, could match myself to my son (whose playing Bene as a boy). But I'm concerened how to direct and act at the same time. Seems alot like trying to play the guitar and sing at the same time, without knowing how to do either.

Other than that...rolling. Storyboarded pretty heavily. Planning on turning the house into a church on Saturday. I have these huge deck boards left over from the deck we just put on, and I'm erecting a real live crucifix in the yard for all to behold. With that, a few nailed to the house complete with a cemetery and wire fence. All the locations are secured and accessable throughout preproduction. Should be a blast.

2 comments:

japhy99 said...

Sooooo... how'd it go?

149films said...

The house looks like a Jesus-freak's house. I have to explain that I'm making a film to the neighbors as they come over - which is crazier to them than starting a house-church. But I've already got some shots plotted and the lighting in a bunch of places down. We'll rehearse twice and shoot the first weekend in Oct. Heather'll be glad when it's over.